Monday, November 1, 2010

Toddler Travels: Fun Ranch, Alabang

I went to Fun Ranch thinking I'd find animals (my daughter is overly fond of horses and ducks).  Silly me!  Instead, I feasted my eyes on this enormous children's play area encompassing 4-5 levels of plastic balls, obstacle courses, slides, foam, foam, and more foam.

At the time, my toddler was only a little over a year old, but already able to walk so I figured we'd give it a go.  She had the time of her life.  At the corner just past the entrance was the "toddler's area", a mini play area just 2 levels high in the shape of a ship.  It had steps, a wheel, slide, a vat of balls, and tunnels.  There was also a large cushion in the shape of a starfish where she launched herself and lay down quite happily.

Of course, I knew it wouldn't end there.  Eventually she wanted to go exploring to the big kid's area.  This humongous structure reminded me of the medieval "gauntlet" in the movie, First Knight.  There was actually a large ball with spikes (made of foam of course) hanging down one of the levels as part of the intricate obstacle course designed for kids.  Did I mention everything was made of foam?  One of the highlights for me was a rickety bridge that was fully covered by a net on both ends giving you the feeling of being suspended without any danger of falling.

We didn't stay long in the non-toddler area, mostly because there was a party that day and there were a lot of screaming kids and teenagers running around and I feared my little girl would be trampled in the melee.  Also, the choice means to return to the first level is via the slides.  Otherwise, you'd have to go through these holes on the floor and there is the added danger of a baby falling through one.  This is probably why they have a designated toddler area ;)

Other features of note are the availability of walkers and toy cars - though these were rather worn already.  There was also a section with large foam (what else?) blocks wherein kids could build an actual castle or fort.

I've only brought my daughter to Fun Ranch that one time, but have resolved to bring her back when she's older and can explore the place in full.  Also, the rather finicky and prissy mom in me likened it to a playground - I'm the type who likes to keep my baby in uber clean, open and/or semi-isolated areas.  At least until she turns 2. :)

Travel Tips:

(1) Bring socks.  If you forget, don't despair - they will sell you some at the ticket counter.

(2) Go on a weekday so it would be less crowded.  Call beforehand to ensure there's no party and/or reservation.

(3) Bring a change of clothes for your baby.  A towel and/or change of clothes for you as well.  The place is air-conditioned, but is just at the right temperature (i.e., not overly cold).  Your child is sure to sweat if he/she overexerts himself/herself.

(4) Be prepared to go through the obstacles courses yourself to keep tabs on your child, especially if he/she is just a toddler.

(5) When I was younger, I've read about the dangers of sharp objects that may find their way in sandboxes or pools/vats of balls.  I've yet to experience this firsthand, but it doesn't hurt to inspect the area before you let your child swim in a pool of plastic balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment