Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Books For Tots: Brainy Baby

Get a good grasp of the basics with the Brainy Baby series.  These board books provide large, colorful images that introduce your child to the world of numbers, animals, shapes, colors, and letters.

When I saw the word "baby" in the title, I imagined my little one would immediately take to these kinds of books.  It wasn't exactly love at first sight for my baby.  I learned that mere images weren't enough to amuse her and had to inject funny noises and animal sounds to make it more interesting.  I also taught her that books were not toys - she could not fold, toss, or step on her books.  Over time she came to respect and love these tiny tomes.  These days a trip to the toy store makes her face light up, but a trip to the bookstore - ah, now there's a treat that can convince her to take a nap, eat her vegetables, or visit the doctor.

My baby now has two shelves dedicated to her in our mini library (my husband and I are quite the bookworms ourselves) and is close to occupying a third.  And it all started with a little series called Brainy Baby.  My daughter just turned 2 and has already memorized the contents of these books, but we still use them regularly to refresh her skills.

You can purchase a set of 4 board books at Toy Kingdom.  A set comes in a bag with handle, making it convenient to lug around.  It also makes it very presentable as a baptismal, birthday, or Christmas gift. ;)

1 comment:

  1. [...] my daughter turned 1, I started teaching her ABCs, numbers, colors, shapes, and animals through Brainy Baby books. Flash cards were also a big help. It’s best to use simple flash cards, I got ones with the [...]

    ReplyDelete