Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Helper Horror #2 The Early Years

My earliest memory of a helper horror story was when I was 4 or 5 years old.  The events are quite hazy in my head already.  But I recall quite vividly the maid hiding me behind a couch and giving me the set of house keys.  She told me to stay there and hold on to the keys.  I did as I was told.

A few seconds later, I hear a horrified shout and see my brother (11 or12 years old at this time) running through the living room where I was "hidden".  Hot on his heels was the same maid, brandishing a large pair of scissors.

The rest of the story I got from my mom as I honestly don't remember what happened afterwards.  Apparently, my brother (yes, he survived unscathed and is still the bane of my existence or mayhap the other way around? lol) escaped to our neighbor's house.  Our neighbor rushed back to our place to secure me as well.  My parents came home to learn their kids were at the house next door.  They got the full story from us and the maid was promptly dismissed.

Learning Points:

(1) Be sure your children know what to do and who to run to in case of an emergency (assuming neither parent is available).

(2) To be fair, my brother was an utter brat and very disrespectful of our hired help at the time.  Of course, he did nothing to warrant being skewered, but it's always good to teach children to respect others - especially those who are caring for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment