Thursday, November 11, 2010

Jobs For Moms: Shady Interview

About a month ago, I decided to apply for a work from home  job that just required good computer and typing skills.  The company was not well-known, but as work from home jobs were scarce (and still are!), I decided to give it a go.  I submitted my resume and eventually got called in for an interview.

Since I had applied for the job online and was not familiar with my prospective employer, my mother cautioned me to bring some company during the actual interview.   I actually thought it unnecessary, but humored her anyway and had my husband tag along. 

On the day of the interview we followed the directions sent via email.  I was a bit disconcerted to find that the address was different from the one posted on the company website.  My husband and I found ourselves in a rundown building at the edge of the business district.  The guard had us sign in and told us to proceed up the stairs.  We walked through a deserted hallway, passing units that were either locked or empty.

When we got to the interview site, we found ourselves in a room filled with stacks of computers and ledgers.  The only other people in the room were two other interviewees (both female) and the company owner, who was conducting the interviews.  The owner claimed that the room was usually filled with employees and remarked that it was odd that he was the only one in that day.  While nothing untoward happened, I was grateful for my mother's advice and my husband's presence. 

Learning Points:

(1) Better to be safe than sorry.  If you're not familiar with the company and are called in for an interview, it would be best to have someone come along (even if only to drop you off after surveying the interview site).

(2) Sometimes, though we hate to admit it, mothers do know best. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment