Friday, April 22, 2011

Schooling Starts At Home - Teaching Babies and Toddlers

At 2.5 years old, my toddler is able to speak full sentences; can recognize and identify letters, numbers, shapes, colors, and body parts; has memorized at least 10 nursery rhymes and 3 Dora books; knows her fruits, vegetables, and animals; and can count to 50. She is currently learning how to read and write. She accomplished all these long before I enrolled her in Gymboree classes. I'm often asked by parents and yayas if she goes to school already, to which I say no - I've been teaching her myself since she was born. I haven't followed any tried-and-tested approach or teaching methods, mostly I just played it be ear, so I thought it best to list some of the things I tried that seemed to work:

(1) Start reading and singing nursery rhymes to them early on. Even if it seems like it's a useless effort as they don't appear to listen or understand, it does get through. This is evident in the way my daughter - when she finally learned to talk - suddenly sang the songs we sung to her when she was less than a year old. I had a yaya who sang Nobody (Wonder Girls) when she was about a year old. She'd changed yayas since and no one else sang that to her. Imagine her current yaya's shock when she suddenly burst out "nobody, nobody but you!" just the other week, complete with head bobbing action.

(2) Introduce them to books. I can't stress this enough. Let them handle books appropriate for their age to get them interested. I started with Fisher Price books with bright colors. Dora's Little Library came next - it's just perfect for little hands! I also kept telling her that books were not toys. She was not allowed to tear, bend, or fold the pages, or stand/sit on the books. Fully Booked is her favorite jaunt now and she has a huge collection of Barney, Dora, Pooh Bear, and Mickey Mouse books.

(3) Allow them to watch educational shows while eating. When we first introduced solid food, we also introduced her to TV for the first time. She could watch TV while eating, and we showed her Sesame Street videos full of songs that teach ABCs, numbers, colors, shapes, and body parts. This made her grasp basic concepts easily and she actually enjoys eating (I have a lot of friends whose babies refuse to eat so this is a coup for me!). The only drawback was that she eventually graduated to Barney and would watch over and over and over again. She eventually got off this habit though.

(4) Make every moment a learning experience. Buy alphabet bath stickers for the bath. Show her colors and shapes when you're out and about or while playing with her toys. Make her count groceries while sitting in the shopping cart.

(5) NO baby talk. Treat them like little adults so they will learn to act and speak accordingly. You'll be surprised at how they will try to pick up singular-plural and past-present-future tense rules on their own by listening to you speak. Refrain from screaming and shouting when they do something wrong or won't stop crying. Instead, explain things to them calmly, in simple terms they will understand. Keep talking and they'll eventually calm down. And yes, the lecture does get through to them.

(6) Teach them regularly. When my daughter turned 1, I started teaching her ABCs, numbers, colors, shapes, and animals through Brainy Baby books. Flash cards were also a big help. It's best to use simple flash cards, I got ones with the letter in front and sample word and picture at the back. I found that cards with too much information on one side - especially those featuring popular characters such as Mickey Mouse or Barney - were too distracting. This was also about the time we started her on the First 1000 words book.

(7) Do as you teach. My daughter saw me and my husband reading (even if only comics and magazines) and wanted to read as well. She saw her lola do crossword puzzles and wanted to learn how to write. She saw us building puzzles and wanted to try it out on her own. Toddlers love to emulate - be sure to be a good role model to them. If you want them to say Please and Thank You, be sure to always say these key phrases when you hold conversations with other people.

Time to put my toddler to bed :) More tips to come on my next post!

14 comments:

  1. [...] Schooling Starts At Home – Teaching Babies and Toddlers [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] Schooling Starts At Home – Teaching Babies and Toddlers [...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your post. I did the same to my kid she just turned three and she knows a lot and was insatiable when it comes to learning. She she has mastered all the basics I let p a bitso she can also experience play learning without the lash cards and the regular study times. I am more flexible now and lets her take the lead as to what topics we'll study for the day. She outgrew the DVDs too coz she knows most of the topic by heart. She spends and hour and a half a.day to tinker on her iPad...all the apps there are educational and fun. I make it a point to stay close when she's using it though so there's still people interaction, she lets her playmates play wither ipad too but she pretends to be the teacher hehe. It's nice to know that there are lot of parents out there who ally take an a give role in educating their child. I play it by ear too coz kids change in a blink of an eye that's eh we as parents need to adapt and be flexilble enough to grow along with them :) kudos to you and all the great parents out there !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also loved your post! My daughter turned two years old in June and she amazes my hubby and I every single day with the things she learns. She can count up to 14, she can recognize all letters of the alphabet, knows her colors, shapes, and is starting to talk in complete sentences. Seeing your child learn so fast is overwhelming at times because as a first time parent, I start thinking "Okay, what's next? What's next?" I bought her a Pre-K activity book just to get a sense of what should be taught next. For now, we are focusing on her verbal skills and showing her how to let us know how she is feeling (excited / sad / happy). My only obstacle with her has been potty training. I will become a stay-at-home mom by November since my company is downsizing and I'm looking forward to it. I spent the first year with her at home and miss being home with her. Her father is a great help as he is very supportive of her learning and teaches her A LOT. Like you, we sort of follow her lead because we do not want to overwhelm her either. After all, she's only 2! lol Glad I finally found a post that I can relate to =)

    ReplyDelete