Friday, July 19, 2013

Disney Literature Classics - only P145!

I dropped by National Bookstore before picking up my tot from school and discovered a really interesting find under "Popular Characters." TWO whole shelves filled with Disney Literature Classics. Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and friends take on literary classics such as Tom Sawyer, Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, Around the World in 80 Days, Shakespeare and so much more!

These hardbound, full-color tomes are actually comic books; another plus for me as they were immediately engaging to my 4-year-old daughter and sparked an interest in classic tales and fantastical settings. While the stories are actually parodies of the original, each book comes with a detailed introduction on the differences to help guide readers (and parents!). If you appreciate a dose of good, old-fashioned Mickey Mouse humor, then this collection won't disappoint. I do advise parents to check the stories before giving to really young kids though. At this point, I've decided to shelve the tale of Othello until my daughter is older. Some of the comics also sport words such as "stupid" and "idiot", which may not be age-appropriate.

The best part for me? Each book cost only P145 (~$3.50). Truly a bargain considering the content and quality; most hardbound, full-color children's books (featuring popular Disney characters no less) would run from P600 to P999 (at least ~$15!).

Sadly, when I went back to pick up more, there was a measly pile left in one shelf. I picked up about 5 in all and will surely scrounge other branches for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment