Sunday, July 7, 2013

Become a VA: Do you know (Magic) Jack?

One of my very first tasks as a virtual assistant (VA) was to find a rental car service. I did my research online; looked for well-known businesses with affordable (or at least competitive) rates. I also searched for feedback and ratings to create my shortlist, and removed from my list any company for which a legitimate complaint was logged (or blogged). I sent email inquiries to my top 3 choices.

Only 1 replied. My client had several questions and given the time difference, turnaround time for replies between the client, myself, and the rental car service was around 24 hours. We were drawing too close for comfort to the deadline and it was one of my more nerve-wracking experiences. It was a slow, painful exchange of numerous emails before a reservation was made. Don't get me started on how the even slower process of getting confirmation from the service. Thankfully, all went well, but my client (understandably) asked me what could have been done to improve the whole process.

A way to make international calls so I could contact the service and get immediate results was the obvious answer. My client set me up with Skype credit and future transactions were a lot faster after that. Eventually, though, a local distributor offered a Magic Jack Plus kit to my family. Magic Plus enables you to make long-distance calls to US and Canada for FREE. Of course, you have to pay the initial set-up costs and a yearly maintenance fee, but the convenience and savings more than made up for it.

Magic Jack Plus connects an actual phone to either your router or computer and can make/receive calls via your Internet connection. It's far more convenient than using your computer and headset to make calls and has better reception. Best of all, you get your own US phone number so your contacts can call you back. We bought this to stay in touch with relatives in the US, but it became one of my favorite and most-used tools during my time as a VA.

There are local distributors that sell Magic Jack Plus, though at a higher price. If you can manage it, it's better to order directly from the US-based supplier and to renew via their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment