Thursday, August 25, 2011

Top Television Show Choices for Toddlers

While I believe that too much TV is hazardous to a tot’s physical and mental well-being (perhaps even emotional? I swear my daughter gets extra bratty after watching Dibo The Gift Dragon!), I do admit to being part of the guilty ranks of mothers who give in to it as a means of getting a few minutes of peace or as a quick remedy to a brewing tantrum. I do, however, try (it's mostly a losing battle on my end, though I do still give it my best efforts) to limit her choice of shows.

For one thing, I do not find all shows under the Disney Junior banner suitable for my toddler. All the characters in Timmy Time, for example, communicate through animal sounds, which is not at all conducive to helping tots speak their first words. Not to mention that the characters eat paper, draw/paint on walls, and destroy books/toys. The concept of Dibo The Gift Dragon, wherein someone can get their wish granted simply by saying the magic words – regardless of whether they are deserving or not – does not sit well with me either. My daughter tends to emulate Bunny, who is quite vain and selfish. I once saw an episode of The Hive where one of the bees made an imaginary friend after being ignored. While all these cartoons do end on a high note with a moral lesson, it’s not likely to get through to the very young viewers. As my daughter grows older, I’m sure she’ll learn to appreciate these shows, but for now I’m keeping close tabs on her viewing preferences.

Below are the shows that top my list of preferred viewing for my toddler:

(1) WorldWorld features a world where anything can be created simply by putting together the requisite letters – i.e., build the word! The series is a great introduction to words, letters, and phonics. The characters are colorful, funny, and engaging – I’ve yet to meet a tot who didn’t like animals – and the stories are age-appropriate.

(2) Mickey Mouse Clubhouse teaches colors, shapes, numbers, and problem-solving. And who doesn't love Mickey Mouse, the pioneer of all things Disney?

(3) Barney and Friends however nauseating this purple dinosaur can be to adults, he still promotes love, friendship, family, and good manners while teaching ABCs, colors, shapes, and numbers.

(4) Special Agent Oso as annoying as the main character can be - how can someone so brainless have been accepted as an agent??? - the show features real-life problems and solutions that young children can relate to; a good deviation to the typical ABCs and 123s.

(5) Handy Manny my two-year-old daughter impressed everyone at the play school by correctly identifying a screwdriver. Thanks to the Handy Manny section in Disney Junior magazine, she is also familiar with a crane, forklift, digger, and excavator (which, she told me proudly, rhymes with elevator!).

(6) Dora The Explorer while I find Mickey Mouse Clubhouse a better and more educational alternative, this show has its good points as well. Though I'm more fond of the wide variety of Dora books than the oft poor quality animation provided by the TV series (even the original DVD offers little better quality and with no subtitles to boot).

(7) Little Einsteins if you want to introduce your toddler to classical music and fine art, nothing beats the Little Einsteins! They will take your tot on adventures around the world, all the while instilling an early appreciation for culture and arts.

2 comments:

  1. [...] Top Television Show Choices for Toddlers (sahmwahmorbust.wordpress.com) Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. Tagged Television [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] Prices Items|Discover Far more Chainsaw Charges Items][/random] Mouse here for Related LinksTop Television Show Choices for Toddlers Tags: Chain, Disney's, FisherPrice, fisherprice disney8217s handy manny ripp chain saw, Handy, [...]

    ReplyDelete