Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Intricacies of Online Job Hunting

After securing a valid ID, I started my job hunt for suitable, legal part time or work from home jobs that would give me a much needed break and extra income, but would still leave most of my time free for my daughter.

The Internet is a good source for job openings.  Some sites filter the part time from the full time jobs, making it easier to search for one that works for you in terms of location, requirements, schedule, and pay.  Below are sites I frequently monitor for potential part time jobs:

http://www.jobopenings.ph/list_specific_jobs.php?by=parttime_jobs

http://job-search.jobstreet.com.ph/campus/philippines/job-opening.php?by=part-time-jobs

Of course, since nearly everyone and anyone can access the Internet these days, it's always worthwhile to do a bit of research before submitting vital information to a potential employer.  Here are some things I look out for:

(1) Company/Employer - if you're not familiar with the company, search for more information first from blogs, news articles, friends, or family

(2) Job Description and Requirements - trust your instincts.  An ad looking for someone who's female, no more than 25 years old, with pleasing looks and personality, and no other requirements or an ad - from a company that focuses on sales - with vague job requirements save for the promise of no selling required and high pay, but you absolutely must first attend a seminar to learn more about their products makes me think twice.

(3) Any job that requires you to pay a registration fee is likely a scam.

When in doubt, it also helps to search for "[job description / company name] scam".  Chances are, someone will have blogged about the scam (if any) already.

When you do find a job you like and decide to submit your resume, make your intentions clear in your cover letter.  I once submitted my resume as is and got no response.  My family said they probably considered it a big joke that someone at near managerial level is trying to apply as a clerk/encoder/assistant/entry level position.  True, I was overly qualified for the jobs I was applying for, but the part time and work from home aspect mattered more to me than a career path (at least for now).  I resubmitted my resume with a letter explaining that I'm a stay at home mom looking for a part time job.  This time, I got a positive response. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment