Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Top (and free!) 5 iPad Apps for My Preschooler

Wow...it's been a little over two months since my last post - a testament that the life of a SAHM and/or WAHM can get very hectic! Let's see if I can make up for lost time... ;-)

My husband and I got an iPad for our anniversary and despite our noble intentions to try to limit the time our curious little girl spends with it (we still believe in active play, or at least, that's what we try to tell ourselves as we attempt to pry her little fingers from it so we can collect coins at the Snoopy Fair!), we can't help but give in to her at least a couple of hours a day. If nothing else, it's a sure-fire way to get her up in time for her morning classes!

As much as I'd like to stick to the educational apps, I have to admit that they're not very appealing - especially if they're free. Despite being on numerous "Top 10" lists out there, a lot these are repetitive, with bad graphics, and let's face it - downright boring for our kids. Here are a few gems I've discovered that I find to be appropriate edutainment for my tot's age (and best of all, you don't need to pay a cent!):

(1) Colormixer - this is one of the first ones we got and we love it! Kids are only given buckets of primary colors to work with that they have to mix to get new colors (e.g., red and blue make purple) for the app's coloring page. It's a great way for preschoolers to learn about color combinations.

(2) Mickey Mouse Road Rally - this free app from Disney features the full-length film in interactive format. Your tot will help Mickey Mouse and his friends solve puzzles to reach the finish line - a must have for any die-hard Mickey Mouse Clubhouse fan! If your child is leaning more towards Jake and the Neverland Pirates, there's a free educational app featuring this show's characters too!

(3) My Little Pony by Ruckus Reader - this app comes with a free eBook featuring the adorable Twilight Sparkle and all her friends from the My Little Pony Friendship is Magic generation. The app reads out the words to your emerging reader and includes a "sticker page" at the end for free play.

(4) Barbie I Can Be - does your little girl want to be a baker, veterinarian, or pizza maker? This simple app will give her a dose of what it's like to be all three!

(5) Barbie Fashionista - if your daughter loves dress up games, there are numerous Hello Kitty and Princess Dress Up games out there, but Barbie Fashionista by far surpasses all. Skip the part about needing a ring/accessory - you don't need it to use the basic dress up app, which gives you a choice of more than a dozen barbie dolls and hundreds of combinations for clothes, shoes, hair, and accessories. I was planning to buy my girl the actual Barbie doll with the closet, but with this app, I may no longer need to. This is just the thing for all little girls who want to play dress up - and for moms who still wish they had their Barbie collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment