Thursday, July 28, 2011

Toilet Training: Tips, Trials, and Tribulations

As is evident in the numerous articles, tips, and mommy tales on the subject - the right approach to potty training appears to be a case-to-case basis. Below is my own personal experience in training my tot, as well as the highs and lows of the process.

(1) We started by showing my daughter how the rest of us use the toilet to help her get used to the idea. There are also a lot of books (FisherPrice, Dora, etc.) available to introduce your toddler to the concept of using the toilet or potty.

(2) As soon as my daughter was able to sit on her own, we started sitting her on the toilet whenever she would poop. This takes a lot of patience and alertness on the part of the parent/caregiver. The moment we see her put on her "poop" face, we would rush her to the toilet and told her that this was "poo poo". Eventually she was able to say "poo poo" before the actual deed, giving us ample time to find a restroom. We have not yet transitioned her from diapers to underwear at this point.

(3) At around 18 months, when my daughter was already able to communicate with us using words and short phrases, we started removing her diapers and putting her in underwear for a couple of hours every morning. This involved a lot of accidents at first, afterwhich we would explain that this was "pee pee" and she should use the potty to avoid getting wet. The adjustment time varies. This was done to my niece when she was 2 years old and she was so disgusted after she wet herself that she immediately took to the potty. My daughter took a bit longer. For a few days, I sat her on the toilet during times when I expect her to pee, such as right after waking up and after snacks. When we did away with the diaper entirely, I sat her at least once every 1-2 hours. One of my neighbors put her daughter on the toilet every 15 minutes, but I think this may have been a little extreme. Eventually my daughter managed to say "poo poo" and allowed us to rush her to the nearest toilet before relieving herself.

(4) Sometimes a reward system helps. Most books on potty training come with stickers to give to a toddler for every successful use of the potty. Since I did not allow my daughter to eat sweets or candy, we got into the habit of giving her a marshmallow every time she used the potty.

(5) At first, I thought having her use the toilet directly was a good thing, but soon discovered why a potty was handier - particularly while traveling. The farther we traveled, it became increasingly difficult to find a clean public toilet and my daughter refused to use the potty. She started holding her pee until we got home which put her at risk for urinary tract infection. Thus, we trained her to use a potty at home. Now she's able to adjust and use either a toilet or a potty. We've took it up a notch by teaching her to use a potty for "pee" and the toilet for "poop".

(6) Teach your tot early on to wash up after relieving himself/herself.

(7) It's good to get a toilet seat made especially for toddler and young children - the type you place on top of your own toilet - to lessen the risk of them falling in. Make sure to check if you're using a regular or elongated toilet in order to buy the appropriate seat.

(8) Make sure your child uses the toilet before he/she sleeps. This lessens the probability of wetting the bed.

My daughter was fully toilet trained by age 2. She was the one who told me when she didn't want to wear diapers anymore. We've had some instances of her "wetting the bed" and for the longest time, poo-poo and pee-pee were both "poo-poo" to her, but we eventually worked out the kinks. This process takes a lot of patience and practice on both your parts. The important thing is to keep at it and not to be discouraged. Everyone eventually gets it right. My favorite advice on this subject is from a parenting magazine I once read that said (loosely translated as I don't remember the exact wording) "you don't see seven-year-old kids running around in diapers - a sure sign that at some point, all kids learn how to use a toilet".

No comments:

Post a Comment